Below are links to some audio files that can be useful for working with shame and self-criticism. I'll add more audio files as I create them or come across them. Check back later for more!
Files from from ACTwithcompassion.com
- A meditation to do when feeling upset, to practice self-compassion: Bringing kindness and care to a troubling emotion
- A meditation to help clients build more awareness of automatic reactions to difficult emotions/situations: Noticing the autopilot respond to suffering
- Lovingkindness for a friend (introductory version script in Word format)
- Lovingkindness for a friend (open-ended, higher fidelity version)
- Lovingkindness for a friend and stranger (script in Word format)
- Lovingkindness for a friend and for yourself (script in Word format)
- Lovingkindness for a friend and a difficult person (who may also be yourself!) (script in Word format)
- Noticing the Autopilot Response to Suffering. A meditation to help clients build more awareness of automatic reactions to difficult emotions/situations.
- Lovingkindness meditation (10 minutes)
- Brief compassion meditation (10 minutes)
- Longer compassion meditation (22 minutes)
- Wisdom and Love Meditation
From Kristen Neff:
- Affectionate Breathing (21 minutes)
- Compassionate Body Scan (24 minutes)
- Loving-Kindness Meditation (20 minutes)
- Noting Your Emotions (18 minutes)
- Soften, Soothe, Allow: Working with Emotions in the Body (15 minutes)
Self-Compassion Break (5 minutes). The self-compassion break is a favorite among clients (and us too!) because it is so brief and can be practiced informally anytime, anywhere by placing a hand on one’s heart and offering phrases of kindness. You can download the script here or view it on Dr. Neff's website.
From Russell Kolts:
- Soothing Rhythm Breathing (11 minutes)
From Christopher Germer:
- A whole range of mindfulness and compassion exercises: http://www.mindfulselfcompassion.org/meditations_downloads.php
- Self-compassion, other compassion, and mindfulness meditations: http://sittingtogether.com/meditations.php
From Barbara Fredrickson:
- Guided meditations: http://www.positivityresonance.com/meditations.html
From Dr. Tara Brach:
- Tonglen or Compassion Practice. Tonglen is a form of practice that involves breathing in difficult emotions, and breathing out kindness and relief. Here is a description of Tonglen by Pema Chodron.
- Meditations to open the heart from Tara Brach
- Wildmind.org has a self-guided course for learning lovingkindess meditation that includes a variety of exercise. It provides a nice overview of how to practice and guides on many aspects of establishing an effective practice.